Maximumcards

Since I became a member of postcrossing I regularly receive Maximum cards. As a philatelist, I'm always happy with them. I even started collecting them.

What are Maximumcards?

Maximum cards are postcards with an image on the front of a subject where a stamp issue is dedicated to. On the image side, the stamp of the issue has been put and cancelled; usually with a special cancellation.

As a philatelist, I knew the phenomenon of maximumcards, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Seperate and series of stamps had and still are the focus of my collections. However, postcrossing has changed this. I have written before about a maximum card from Denmark and since I have received many and sent some myself.

Although many maximumcard collectors collect unsent cards, I like to receive them and be surprised where and by whom they were sent. So I only collect postally used maximumcards; they are much more interesting.

August 2022

In the past month I received four maximumcards. In no particular order, these were the following:

Every philatelist knows the first stamp in the world, the Penny Black that was issued in England in 1840. Unfortunately, I don't have one myself; a good copy is rather pricey I think. So all the more fun if you receive the stamp by mail. Well, a copy of course …

In 1990, the first issue of the stamp was commemorated worldwide. Several countries issued special stamps with an image of the Penny Black. Often also with the first stamp of the country in question. So is Germany.

On October 11, 1990, the day of the Stamp, the German post issued a commemorative stamp with the Penny Black and the first stamp issued in Germany (Bavaria). The maximum card I received was stamped on the front in Bonn and came from Constance Germany. Sent on August 18 with a stamp of Palldium and nicely cancelled with a "Corona cancellation".

From Sweden I received a card dedicated to Swedish designed wooden houses. Maximum Card no. 83. I read on the back. The accompanying stamp on the front is from an "Allotment House" or Kolonistuga in Swedish. Unfortunately, the stamp on the back is not cancelled. I’ve noticed that regularly postage stamps are no longer cancelled. Usually from the US, but now also from Sweden. I don't get cards from Sweden very often, so I don't know if this is common or just an accident.

 


The third card I received is dedicated to a Finnish Olympic Champion. Paavoo Numi who ran in 1925 in New York where he won the gold Milrose A.A. medal. Buni has a whole list of achievements and world records to his name. Why then this medal is shown and not one of his bigger victories is a mystery to me... Nevertheless, a nice card.


 

 


The fourth maximumcard I received last month came from Ukraine. The only thing I can make of it is that it’s an image of a ruin. I don't read Ukrainian.


A nice pile of cards that I can add to my collection of maximum cards.

 

 

Reacties