Royal Museum of Fine Art Antwerpen

Some things in your life, you are pleasantly reminded by new issues from different countries. For example, the Belgian post office is issuing a sheet of stamps today on the occasion of the Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp (KMSKA).

In the past, when I was still young, I regularly went to Antwerp with my father. A cozy city and also for the arts (my father was an artist). Of course we went to the Rubens house, we saw different architectural styles, including Art Deco and I drank my first Beer in a café on the main road called Meir. I was well under 18 and that would not be possible anymore of course.

A regular part of our visit to the city was also a visit to the Royal Musem of Fine Arts. You could still just walk in and out; the entrance was free. Wandering through the different rooms you could quietly study the paintings. Usually there were not many visitors, only a single student who was copying a painting. Apparently a regular part of the art academy.


 

 

 

After the reopening now, admission is not free. Admission is now no less than 20 euros per person (!). Not exactly a price that you walk in for on a visit to Antwerp. But anyway, maybe we'll go to Antwerp especially for this museum and visit the city.

Reacties